We regularly assist people to document agreements about child support as part of the overall financial settlement
It is intended that child support obligations are dealt with by parents directly with the Department of Human Services (Child Support), known as the Department.
There is a child support estimator available on the Department website which provides an indication of how much child support you may be assessed to pay or entitled to receive.
However, the child support system and the formula used to calculate child support can be a complex and does not always reflect all circumstances such as higher income families, children with special needs or delinquent payers.
We can assist you with some of the lesser known areas and complexities, and assist you to strategically plan your child support arrangements and obligations for the future to ensure the best possible arrangement is in place based on your and the other parents circumstances.
Our team of award winning family lawyers can help you by:-
- Advising you as to your options regarding child support which may include arranging a private child support agreement, in either a limited or binding child support agreement
- Assisting you to alter the Department assessed child support amount to better suit your individual circumstances – such as for payment of private school fees or other child related expenses.
- Seeking Orders for payment of child support by lump sum
- Assisting in steps to recover unpaid child support, including recovery of child support abroad
- Advising you as to establishing a child maintenance trust to assist to meet child support obligations in the most tax effective way.